Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fun Crayon Project

I love when school is about to start. All the art supplies are super cheap and I stock up. I usually just throw away all my old crayons and start fresh, I love a fresh box of crayons! But I found this fun thing to do with all your old crayons and so I put the kids to work and it was a lot of fun!


The tedious part is peeling all the crayons. I ended up taking a razor blade and slicing along the crayon and then the kids could easily remove the paper. It was a lot faster then peeling the crayons and trying to rip the paper. And you got less crayon under your finger nails!



We then put them in my car cupcake pan. This is what the lady did and that's why I wanted to do it because I happened to have the same pan! It kind of ruined my pan, but I hated cleaning it when I made cupcakes, so I think it has now become a crafting pan! You have to make sure that you spray your pans really good, otherwise you will have a tough time getting the crayons out. Then you bake them at 200 degrees for about 40 minutes. I just kept watching them to see if they were done melting. Also, the crayons as they melt shrink down in the pan, so it would have been nice to add more crayons as they melted, but we didn't have anymore and I didn't think about it till after.


And this is what they came out looking like! Aren't they cute? I don't know if you can tell, but we didn't really get any wheels on the cars because of when the crayons melted they ended up not filling the whole mold. I did however make the mistake of letting the kids take them to church and Kamden thought they were cars and was rubbing them all over the backs of the benches! Yikes, had to put them away after that, we kind of got crayon all over. And then he did the same thing on our wall. So they are not allowed to be used when he is around! One of them looks like Mater, so he loves that one. I thought these would be a cute present to give, or even a party favor if we ever did a car themed birthday.

No comments: