Thursday, May 6, 2010

Running and Running and Running.....


So I am not a runner and I will be the first to tell anyone that. I have always hated running, and always blamed it on a muscle in my back that hurts whenever I tried to run. Well I learned a new way to run, thanks Heather, and I am now running about 4 days a week! It's been a very very slow process, but today I ran 2.15 miles!! That's the farthest I have ever run!

Our Relief Society is training for a 5K on May 22. We started a few months ago with a program called Couch to 5K. I was literally at the "Couch" point. The first day you ran 1 min. walked 1 min. for 20 minutes. I remember struggling to run that 1 minute! Today my run was 23 minutes! I can actually run for 30 minutes now, but I didn't have time this morning. I had to get my run in before Akoni left for work. And no I didn't run at 5am, it was 6am, he had a meeting and didn't have to leave till 6:30.

Anyway, I am actually loving running. It's still a slow process for me, but it's fun and it's so nice to run by myself and not have to worry about anyone else but me.

I am also trying to get ready for the Big Sur 10K! It's in November, so that gives me plenty of time to get ready for it. And now that I've written it down, you all better hold me to it to get ready!! The run is actually here in Monterey, but it's the same weekend at the Big Sur 1/2 marathon, they just do it on the Saturday before the marathon. They also have a 5K and a kids 3K that we are going to try and get the kids to do. I think it will be fun.

So wish me luck on May 22!

On another note, below is what I got for my birthday! It's the Nike+ band. It's awesome. It comes with a chip that you put in your shoe and it records your mileage, pace, time and calories burned during your runs! It makes running so much more fun because then I know how far I've gone and I don't have to drive around and map out my mileage anymore!


4 comments:

Emily K. said...

Congratulations, Kim!! I have always loved running, and am running a half marathon next month, but, my 30 year old body doesn't seem to like it. Any time I go over 6 miles, I get hurt. I feel so old. I probably should have started slowly, like you did. Keep up the good work!

Marissa said...

Good for you Kimberly! Your story sounds just like mine. I never liked running (even though I tried to like it many times throughout my life) until the past two years. I don't know what changed, but it's great. Good luck on you 5k!

Briawna said...

I hate running, too, but started liking the treadmill about a year ago. I was super slow, too and considered it a MAJOR accomplishment when I was able to run 3 miles in 30 minutes. But then I got pregnant and couldn't run. I did work out because otherwise I felt like a slug. But for the first time in my life, I'm actually looking forward to the day that I can run again, even if it is super slow and on a treadmill. Good for you. Someday I'll run in public, but for now I just get to cheer for you!

The Wadsworth's said...

You seriously have NO IDEA how jealous I am that you are running. I want to run SO BADLY! As soon as I have the baby I am so back into running that I may come run the 10K with you in November! :) I ran a 15K last October (not knowing I was pregnant) and it was awesome. I LOVE running, running, running. I've tried a little here and and little there, but it really is difficult when you are pregnant. I am so PROUD of you. Next, we have to get into swimming and biking so we can to triathlons!!!!